Application Guidelines – Internal Awards
For application forms and instructions go to https://research.uncg.edu/instructions-internal-grants/.
|New Faculty Internal Research Awards||Regular Faculty Internal Research Awards||Faculty First Summer Scholarship Support Award
|Deadline||October 16, 2019 at 5:00 p.m.||October 16, 2019 at 5:00 p.m.||February 28, 2020 at 5:00 p.m.|
|Funding period||January 2020 – June 2021||January 2020 – June 2021||May 2020 – August 2020|
|Budget limit||$5,000 individually or $10,000 for collaborative projects submitted by two or more UNCG faculty.May be used for faculty salary provided UNCG guidelines regarding buyouts and add pays are met.||$5,000 individually or $10,000 for collaborative projects submitted by two or more UNCG faculty.May be used for faculty salary provided UNCG guidelines regarding buyouts and add pays are met.||$5,000 individually or $10,000 for collaborative projects submitted by two or more UNCG faculty.May be used for faculty salary provided UNCG guidelines regarding buyouts and add pays are met.|
|Eligibility||Full-time UNCG untenured, tenure- track faculty below the rank of professor, clinical faculty, research faculty, and academic professional faculty in the first three years of appointment.||Full-time UNCG tenured, or untenured, tenure- track faculty, clinical faculty, research faculty, and academic professional faculty||Full-time UNCG tenured or untenured, tenure-track faculty.|
Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted.
- Funds are awarded only to those who:
- Have been successfully reviewed for reappointment or tenure, if applicable
- Have completed all work toward the terminal degree
- Have submitted a final report for all previous internal grants
- Have not received an internal research award or Faculty First since June 30, 2018.
- All awards will be evaluated on merit. However, once reviewers have determined which proposals are fundable, priority for funding is given to faculty who have not received an internal grant for the last five years.
- Two or more applicants (all eligible for internal funding as described above) may submit collaborative proposals (for New or Regular Faculty Internal Grants and Faculty First Awards) with a budget of up to $10,000. The role of each collaborator must be clearly defined in the proposal.
- Applicants may submit only one proposal for internal funding per cycle for consideration. If an applicant is included on a collaborative submission that is considered as a submission and the applicant may not submit an individual submission as well.
- All communication about proposals and their review is considered confidential. Information about funding of specific proposals can be communicated only from the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Research and Engagement.
Proposal Review Process
All proposals submitted to the internal grants competition are reviewed by members of the Research Grants Committee, a Faculty Senate Committee, who make recommendations regarding funding to the Vice Chancellor for Research and Engagement. The Research Grants Committee includes faculty who are elected, an appointed Senate representative, and ad hoc members as needed. To obtain a list of elected committee members, go to this website: http://facsen.uncg.edu/CommitteeRoster.asp.
Each member of the committee serves on one of four subcommittees: Arts and Humanities, Creative and Performing Arts, Social and Behavioral Sciences, or Physical & Natural Sciences. Applicants MUST request assignment of their proposal to a specific subcommittee. It is recommended that an applicant select a subcommittee based on the content of the proposal rather than on traditional departmental or disciplinary categories. Failure to indicate the subcommittee request will result in the application being deemed incomplete and the review will be disallowed.
Subcommittees report their reviews and rankings of the proposals at a meeting of the full committee, which then makes recommendations to the Vice Chancellor who notifies applicants of the results of the review. All applicants with unsuccessful applications receive feedback from the committee on their proposals.
Commitment on Receipt of an Internal Grant
Acceptance of a New or Regular Faculty Internal Award or a Faculty First Summer Scholarship Support Award carries with it certain responsibilities.
Recipients agree to:
- Submit a final report on the appropriate form to the Office of Research and Engagement within 6 months of the end date of your grant.
- Follow all UNCG purchasing, travel, and personnel guidelines (https://sys.uncg.edu/policies-and-procedures/).
- Complete all work during the funding period or send a written request for an extension to the Vice Chancellor for Research and Engagement prior to the end of the grant period.
- Route all invoices to the appropriate office within 30 days of incurring the expenditure.
- Include an acknowledgement of support from UNCG on any publication or presentation of work funded fully or in part from a Faculty First, New or Regular Faculty Internal Grant.
- Consider all equipment, books, manuscripts, photostats, microfilms, research apparatus, and other research materials purchased with grant funds to be the property of UNCG.
- Reimburse UNCG for any expenditure in excess of the total budget, for charges not allowed, or for expenditures made beyond the grant expiration date.
- Inform the Office of Research and Engagement and return funds to UNCG if the grantee leaves the University during the funding period.
- Release all grant funds remaining at the end of the grant period back to the Office of Research and Engagement.
Related internal funding
- International research: The Kohler Fund administered by the International Program Center (IPC) offers supplemental support to faculty who receive internal grants to conduct international research. For the budget form to request Kohler Fund support, see the following link http://www.uncg.edu/ipg. This form should be submitted by the principal investigator to the IPC once applicants have been notified of receipt of funding for their internal grant.
- Publication and media production expenses: Support for publication expenses, media development expenses, and exhibition or performance expenses is available through the Publication/Media/Exhibition Subsidy mechanism. See the following website for more information: https://research.uncg.edu/publication-exhibition-subsidies.
- Undergraduate research: The Undergraduate Research, Scholarship and Creativity Office provides support for undergraduates working with faculty on research projects. For application materials, go to the following website: http://ursco.uncg.edu.
- Travel: The Scholars’ Travel Fund supports faculty travel to professional conferences, and the International Travel Fund supports travel to international conferences. For further information on these funding sources, see the following website: https://research.uncg.edu/scholars-travel-program.
- Women’s and Gender Studies Research: The Linda Arnold Carlisle Faculty Research Grants support research and scholarship related to women’s and gender studies. For application information, follow this link: https://wgs.uncg.edu/resources/research/research-in-wgs/.
Last update 6/13/18.